(Credit: New England Journal of Medicine)
Instead of seeing stars, an electrician who experienced a 14,000-volt electric shock to the left shoulder came away with star-shaped cataracts stamped on both eyes, doctors reported last week in the New England Journal of Medicine.
A cataract is a clouding of the eye’s lens, which is a structure that helps focus light or an image. When the lens is clear, light passes through to the eye’s retina — a tissue located at the back of the eye — where the brain processes the image. If the lens is cloudy due to cataracts, the result is blurry vision.
Cataracts are commonly caused by aging, so common that more than half of Americans have a cataract or undergo surgery to fix them by the time they are 80 years old.
The male patient, 42, underwent cataract extraction surgery four months after the electric shock, and also had an implant placed in to act like a lens and focus light, what’s called in intraocular lens. It improved his vision a bit, but he was still legally blind and could only count fingers out of his left eye. He likely won’t fully regain his sight because of damage to the retina and optic nerve, the structure that transmits visual signals from the retina to the brain.
New York City-based optometrist Dr. Justin Rapp, who had no involvement in the man’s case, explained… [Read more]
Drug overdose caused death of hacker
Augmented-reality contact lenses to be human-ready at CES
It’s not the bus, stupid. It’s the system
Polar Vortex great for business (online porn business, that is)
Google’s smart contact lenses: Could have been Microsoft